Getting to "No" You


I have recently learned getting to "yes" is often proceeded by saying "no." A couple months back I was offered what I considered to be a dream job: great pay, international travel, the ability to work from home. Naturally, I jumped on the opportunity. I told my boss, my friends, my family – everyone – about my new gig. I purchased fancy clothes so I could be more businesslike. I spent all the money I knew I’d be getting before I saw a dime of it. After days of indecisiveness and tiring debates with myself, it hit me like a brick in the face: this job wasn’t right for me. I couldn’t quite voice why not, but I knew I had to say “no” to this seemingly unbeatable offer.


Saying "no" to that opportunity lead me to something that felt right: WieseLaw Contract Studio. Here I am surrounded by business-igniters and thought leaders, jokesters and geniuses. Though I bid adieu to the prospect of designer clothes and trips around the world, I said hello to something even better. And look: after just a few weeks’ time, they taught me how magical it can be to say “no.”


This concept may seem a bit strange at first, but it’s something we should all try to embrace and find comfort in. Nobody gets ahead by being a pushover, and they shouldn’t. What gets people far in life is having opinions and making definitive decisions. Here are a couple pointers to help you say “no:”

- Get over it: saying “no” doesn’t make you a bad person. It makes you a decision-maker.

- If you go into a negotiation and are slightly uncomfortable with it, get it out on the table. Let the person know right away that you’re leaning towards no.

- Remember what “no” often times leads to: an opportunity to say “yes.”

So next time something does not feel right, have the courage to say "no." And remember, when someone says "no" to you, don't sweat it -- they may be trying to open a different door down the road.


0 comments: