Dads Live On

During my life there have been foundational forces that have kept me on track. As I think back on these forces an image of my Dad, the Rock, comes into focus. In almost every memory of my childhood fears my Dad would come to the rescue.

After I saw the movie Jaws I had nightmares for weeks; I would run into my parent’s room in the middle of the night out of breath with fright. My dad would quell my fear by saying: "Tom some risks are unavoidable but I assure you we can all avoid getting eaten by a shark." I would immediately feel the fear leave my body. This is one of a thousand examples of the Rock.
As I have grown up and I face adult fears the strength, courage and wisdom of the Rock still energizes and comforts me….even though he is rarely physically with me. When I face difficult situations I can hear him saying: "Tom you will be a success in what ever road you will take. I’m not saying it will be easy but you will always do well." Our parents are the first leaders we are exposed to …. And great leaders always live on. My Dad believed in me when I didn’t believe in myself. Everyone needs that bridge and I am grateful I have it. That bridge is something that can not be taken away, even after my Dad is gone. He has given me a foundation. The best leaders live on – and that makes me smile when I think of my Dad.

0 comments: